7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: June 1st - Evening update from Camp 3 - team is hanging in there  (Read 13501 times)

erikv

  • Happy at sea level
  • Administrator
  • Hiker
  • *******
  • Altitude: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 26
  • I rather leave the climbing to my assistant

Latest from Camp 3 - 8300m - 5:00 PM June 1st - close but not so close to the top of the world:

Harry: "I feel pretty worn after a day above 8000 meters. Wind has decreased somewhat, but it is still firm and cold. We are still on for a summit attempt this night at 1:00 am Beijing time. We are trying to get some rest now, before we leave tonight."

With Harry in Camp 3 are Lorenzo, John, Dmitri and their sherpas.

Harry also asked me to greet and thank all that support the team. That means all of you!

Erik
« Last Edit: Jun 2 2005, 00:16 by erikv »
Logged

Liana

  • Guest

Thanks for the updates Erik, really appreciating them at this stage.  Here is hoping that the wind carries on decreasing.  Cant seem to think about anything else at the moment...

Stay strong and focused and please dont take any risks.

Lots of love, warm hugs and good luck wishes as always,
Liana
xxxxxx
Logged

landrover

  • Hiker
  • **
  • Altitude: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 15
  • "My Range Rover on Mt. Pinatubo's crater rim"

lorenzo, just heard your audio blog. wow ! no more oxygen ?! if i was there, i would have brought up more oxygen tanks for you and harry and the rest of the remaining team. unfortunately, im too far away. im in manila. hope more oxygen will really get up in time for your ascent !!! better safe than sorry ha !!! If i was a dollar millionaire, id rent out that Eurocopter that went up everest's summit last month and would have gladly picked up oxygen bottles from bc up to your campsite asap for free just to better ensure your team's safety, harry !!! im worried sick re your lack of oxygen bros !!!
« Last Edit: Jun 1 2005, 20:15 by landrover »
Logged
landrover's everest ascent 2006

landrover

  • Hiker
  • **
  • Altitude: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 15
  • "My Range Rover on Mt. Pinatubo's crater rim"

hi erik, when you get the chance to talk to harry, can you tell him that i am an avid fan of him. if he visits the Philippines, i'll treat him well. you too as well erik.  ;)
Logged
landrover's everest ascent 2006

Joe (mkmc)

  • Guest

Lorenzo,
Here,s hoping you take the sensible option rather than the brave one.
We,ll have to meet in Poggi for a cappuccino (if you can find one)!
Sending you all best wishes
Godspeed.
Logged

Ron

  • Mountaineer
  • *****
  • Altitude: -1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 354
  • Adapt,improvise and overcome!

Been there, know what you guys feel/endure....keep your chin up and do the right thing.

Good luck whatever way your going
Logged

smrtnupp

  • Lee
  • Scrambler
  • ***
  • Altitude: 5
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 74
  • Buddy jumps over mountains!!!

Best of luck!!!!  Stay "SAFE" first and foremost, you can alwaays go back again!!!!

Lee
Logged
"You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him to find it within himself." -- Galileo

Mary Clare

  • Guest

Hi Erik

Let the guys know that the support is stronger than ever.  This team and their sherpas are in my thoughts and prayers continually.
I commend Alex for sacrificing his summit attempt to provide extra oxygen.  That along with Nate's oxygen is a huge contribution to the team.  (I hope Alex's leg isn't giving him any problems.)
To be at 8300 meters is an amazing accomplishment.  I know these 4 men and their sherpas will make intelligent decisions.  (Mt. Everest isn't going anywhere!)  As I am typing this post, it is 1:00 am bejing time.  This may be one of the biggest decisions of their lives.  I pray you will all stay SAFE!!!

Sincerely,
mc
Logged

erikv

  • Happy at sea level
  • Administrator
  • Hiker
  • *******
  • Altitude: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 26
  • I rather leave the climbing to my assistant

For those of you who have not read it yet, here follows the detailed account of last night and today (June 1st) by Alex Abramov, taken from www.7summits-club.com:

"Today there was awful night. We the big company, 10 persons, spent the night on 8300 m. The tent jumped and skipped under a pressure of a wind. I on a portable radio set transferred the information in other tents that we do not leave, neither at one o`clock, nor per three ..

Today, when we began to count oxygen, appeared, that for night we have spent 10 cylinders. Everyone were adjusted to go downwards as on everyone remained on 2 cylinders, that it is not enough. To give guys chance we have made the strong-willed decision. I, as already been at top, Nathan and his Sherpa go downwards. Yesterday Nathan has received small frost-bitten of fingers. [...]

We started downwards, leaving necessary amount of oxygen to the four (Dmitry Moskalev, Lorenzo Gariano, Harry Kikstra and John Christiana). They are going to make an attempt tomorrow. I, Nathan and his Sherpa, have started to go downwards at 10 a.m..

Weather forecast for tomorrow: the same as for today. But now, to the evening, clouds have dispersed. We have agreed, that if the weather will be bad, guys go downwards since morning. Robert Ulf, which else hoped to join summiters, has turned downwards. Alexander Abramov, Nathaniel Schneider and his Sherpa stay in АВС now. The first group left from АВС and, probably, all of them already are in base camp. [...]"

The full story can be read at http://www.7summits-club.com/index.php3?id=27&idi=45&action=showfull

Erik
Logged

MournesMan

  • Scrambler
  • ***
  • Altitude: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 68
  • Live life and follow your dreams

It's just after 9pm here in the UK so I guess if the weather has improved and the winds abated, the 4 guys are on their way to the summit.  Erik, I'm watching avidly for any news at all.  I hope they make the right decisions up there - they seem to be low on O2 and any summit attempt in that situation is not worth lives.  Erik please send my best wishes to Harry, Lorenzo, John and the rest of the folks and if you get the chance, tell them they have done fantastically even if they don't summit - tell them they don't need to prove anything.  They have my utmost respect - anyone who can hang around up there above 8000m for that length of time in storm conditions and lowest temperatures approaching
-30 deg C deserve respect for their sheer dogged perseverence in pursuit of their goal.  Either that or they are completely mad  ;D  However, I prefer to believe the former.

Best wishes, stay warm (or as warm as you can!) and above all stay safe guys and return with your lives,

Colin
Logged

Martin

  • Armchair...
  • *
  • Altitude: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1
  • I am too lazy too change this text!

Lorenzo

Following your trip in Awe!!

Hope the weather improves for you all.  I'm looking forward to having a beer, and maybe some popcorn with you so don't be taking any unnecessary risks.

Take care

Martin Moyra, Jack Aife and Martha
Logged

EdwoodCA

  • Guest

Thanks for the updates!

Stiller... [aka John Christiana] we're all pulling for you.  Summit, or no summit.  We just want you to get yer butt back home safely to tell us of your adventure.  You can always try next year.  You're already higher than the other 6 summits in your quest.  Honor Marko by returning safely to your loved ones.  Don't add to the tragedy.

Words cannot express how noble it was for the guys to abandon their attempt and leave you their oxygen.  Amazing and wonderful.

That said... weather permitting... go for it, you can make it!

Best wishes, prayers, and mojo from all of us in Pier 9, So. Cal.
Logged

Scott Woolums

  • Guest

You go Lorenzo! Best of luck! Be safe and climb strong!
(Been on the south side with Lorenzo in 2003)

Cheers,

Scott
Logged

bassie

  • Armchair...
  • *
  • Altitude: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 9
  • I am too lazy too change this text!

 ???

hi Erik, getting a bit worried?!? no news at all?? They're summitting from the South, but I hope that the weather on the North is also good enough to give it a try??

Hope you're updating soon

Bas Nieboer
Logged

Chris Valentine

  • Scrambler
  • ***
  • Altitude: 19
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 81
  • Webmaster for Lorenzo's Everest Audio Blog
    • Lorenzo's Everest Audio Blog

Here,s hoping you take the sensible option rather than the brave one.

Me too!

Quote
We,ll have to meet in Poggi for a cappuccino (if you can find one)!

The cafe at the bottom of the hill does a decent cappuccino.

Chris.
Logged
Webmaster for Lorenzo's Everest Audio Blog
KMi, The Open University
http://everest.open.ac.uk
Pages: [1]   Go Up
 

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 23 queries.