7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: June 2nd - Dmitry and John summit! Harry, John & sherpas third night at 8300m...  (Read 14146 times)

erikv

• Happy at sea level
  • Administrator
  • Hiker
  • Altitude: 2
  • I rather leave the climbing to my assistant

Just in, from www.7summits-club.com:

From Alex Abramov 17:30 local time:

"Dmitry Moskalev has climbed the top at 8:30. On descent  he has met John Christiana and his Sherpa Renji. They have risen on top about one o'clock in the afternoon. Later he has met Harry Kikstra and his Sherpa Lakcha, they also continued climb.

Till now we have no information, whether Harry have reached the summit. There was no radio communication with them during whole day, though all members and Sherpas are supplied radio stations.

At one o'clock Lorenzo Gariano came on communication. He has informed, that he is in camp of 7700 m. During an ascent, on the Second step, he (as he said) 'has lost eyesight'. We do not know precisely, what it means. In any case, Lorenzo has managed independently gone down in camp 2 on 7700 meters. Probably, he has just frozen eyes, because of a strong wind. We have sent Sherpa Nima which has quickly risen in camp of 7700 m. Now they begin descent downwards, they promise to go down up to camp ABC.

Now Sherpa Mingma Norbu which we have left of 8300 m in camp to wait for the two climbers Harry and Lakcha, has informed, that sees them at height 8500м.

Whether or not Harry has been on top, we do not know. We hope for the best, also we hope, that they will have time to go down in camp 3 before darkness. Unfortunately, in camp 3 there is only one cylinder of oxygen. It will be heavy night for three person. It will be their third night at this height [8300m]."

http://www.7summits-club.com/index.php3?id=27&idi=46&action=showfull
« Last Edit: Jun 3 2005, 00:00 by erikv »

Ingrid

Harry - have everyone here in my team at Nike routing for you - we are breathlessly waiting for updates and hoping more than anything you are safe!
Please. Be. Careful!

Ingrid
« Last Edit: Jun 2 2005, 23:11 by erikv »

Anna

Hi!

I`m from Moscow waiting for the news about Harry Kikstra. Did you hear anything on your side? There are no updates on Alpindustria or on 7 summits club web sites, no messages from Alex Abramov (latest one at 17.30 local time). Please let me know inh case you know more.

Anna

Mary Clare

I am writing this with so many emotions...I am amazed that my brother, John and also Dmitry summited!!!  Unbelievable!  But I am worried beyond words.  I've been following the weather and that combined with the fact that John summited at 1:00 pm has me very concerned.  I am also worried about Harry.  And I pray that Lorenzo's eyesight will be completely restored.  Will anyone be able to bring more oxygen cylinders to camp 3?  Please?  I have tears in my eyes, but I will stay positive and strong.  These are determined men.  We need you guys to come back to your loved ones!

Thank you for the updates.  Waiting very anxiously!!!
mc

smrtnupp

• Lee
  • Scrambler
  • Altitude: 5
  • Buddy jumps over mountains!!!

Ditto mc,

I sit here worried as well, I have never met any of the climbers in person.... Just been a member of this site since last October, but still affected by everything going on. I rush home from work, do not even drop my purse and take off my shoes, run to my computer to read posts.  Today I am checking every few minutes....

Harry - well I just do not know what to say, I am worried!!!!!
"You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him to find it within himself." -- Galileo

ap

Harry and the rest: Please come back save!

Ap & Petra

Nancy

John and Dmitry - congratulations!  Very glad you made it.

Harry - hope you were able to summit too

Lorenzo, Alex, Nate and James - next year, for sure!

Perhaps your FBC group can get together again and climb something not quite so high and dangerous?!  Perhaps something in Hawaii would be nice.............

To an extra-safe descent!
« Last Edit: Jun 3 2005, 04:44 by erikv »

Nikky

• Hiker
  • Altitude: 1
  • I am too lazy too change this text!

Lorenzo your latest "blog's" reduced me to tears, which I shed into a couple, (or more) glasses of 'Pinot Grigio'sThank God your safe, 'bonny lad'.. (Geordie), for your family and those close to you. "Yo se que los Angeles estan contigo". Nikky x

MournesMan

• Scrambler
  • Altitude: 0
  • Live life and follow your dreams

Well Done to John and Dimitry! Sounds like you summitted quite early.  Now just get back down safely so it will all be worth it!!

Lorenzo - what an amazing story - resting until sunrise at 8600m and then descending independently to 7700m having encountered problems with your eyesight!!!  I'm very very glad to hear that you are safe and hope for a speedy recovery to your eyes.  Very scary stuff having to abort the summit attempt and climb down alone - thought I told you guys to stick together!!!!  :()

Anyway, glad you are safe and my best wishes go out to you - just take it easy now and enjoy the food, rest and oxygen (and relative warmth) at the lower altitudes of ABC and BC - next year dude!!!

MC, smrtnupp and Ingrid - I share your concerns for Harry.  He had a private sherpa though so keep your spirits up - he should be ok.  I guess after 21 hours away from camp on the summit attempt, they are all pretty much spent.  However, I hope and believe they are back at 8300m camp at least.  But it would just be nice to get some news of Harry's condition - the longer no news comes out from the camps the more worried I'm becoming that he may be suffering AMS or HAPE/HACE - I really hope he is ok.  But if he is suffering, get a rescue mission started immediately - bring up some O2 for the guys (they must be seriously short by now) and extra personnel to help get Harry down if he has become hypoxic or failing to descend under his own power.  Swift action is required now if there is a problem - still hanging on for info!!  Keep your hopes up girls!

Colin

ap

For the ones who didn't read the message of Erik on www.mounteverest.net:

"It has been a nail biting 24 hours. A couple of hours ago we finally received a first clear message regarding Harry.

It has been confirmed by Alex from ABC, by SMS, that Harry arrived at Camp 3 at around 10PM local time. That is 21 hours after the group left for the summit at 1AM!

Harry is with his sherpa in camp 3, together with John and another sherpa. So that is good, given the circumstances.

We are still waiting to hear the condition of Harry and the others at camp 3. Let's hope they make it all through the night OK, without any complications due to prolonged exposure to the altitude, the cold and a lack of oxygen. It will be the third night at 8300. The fourth above 7700. Of lesser importance at the moment, but we also do not know yet if Harry did make it to the summit.
Regards,
Erik (on behalf of Harry Kikstra, 7 summits.com)"
« Last Edit: Jun 3 2005, 11:13 by erikv »

Mary Clare

I am posting this at approximately 1:00 pm on June 3rd Beijing time.

Does anyone know if John and Harry have made it back down to camp 2?  Also, what is the situation regarding oxygen cylinders.  Is anyone going to be able to meet John, Harry and their sherpas with oxygen and possible needed supplies?  I am also wondering about the physical condition of these guys?

I understand it is very difficult to get accurate information...it has just been very hard to be patient.  I am staying positive and looking forward to good news!    :)

Thanks for all the updates,
mc   

Bassie from Holland

OK, Harry come off the mountain!!
You already beat the world record "stay above 8000 meters",
a nice girl, a couple of beers and some other mountain very south are waiting

cheers
Bas and Jette

smrtnupp

• Lee
  • Scrambler
  • Altitude: 5
  • Buddy jumps over mountains!!!

The longest 3 - 4 days I have had in a long time, geesh hurry up Harry!!!! Where are you????
"You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him to find it within himself." -- Galileo

Ron

• Mountaineer
  • Altitude: -1
  • Adapt,improvise and overcome!

im gonna buy you some beer together with bassie when you get back m8
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 22 queries.