7summits forum!

Mountally challenged => Harry's Everest 2005 trip updates => Topic started by: erikv on Jun 1 2005, 09:30

Title: June 1st - Morning update from 8300m. Summit push postponed / cancelled
Post by: erikv on Jun 1 2005, 09:30
Hi all.

At last some news. Not the news from the summit we were hoping for (yet). It also looks like the summit option is gone for another two expedition members.

Harry: "We are still in camp 3. There was too much storm last night to go up. Alex and Nate will go down today. Lorenzo, John, Dmitri and I will stay at 8300m and try again tonight."

The team spent an uncomfortable night in their tent, waiting for the winds to reduce to allow them to go up, but it did not happen.

Weather is looking a bit better for a June 2 summit, but still quite some wind. Another day at 8300m will not be easy. Harry's sherpa is sick at the moment, so that could be a problem.

Erik
Title: Re: June 1st - Morning update. Summit push postponed / cancelled
Post by: Mary Clare on Jun 1 2005, 09:52
Thank you Erik for this update.  I had a strong feeling that the "push" would be postphoned due to the storm conditions.  I feel slightly relieved that the team did not attempt the summit for June 1st.  Safety first!!!  But it will be a difficult wait for June 2nd. 
I hope Alex and Nate are feeling alright.  Will they try for a 2nd attempt after resting?  Thank you so much for keeping all of us informed.
My absolute best wishes to this courageous team.  I hope Harry's sherpa will recover quickly and be able to stay with the team.
Be safe John, please...we love you!
mc & all the Christiana's
Title: Re: June 1st - Morning update from 8300m. Summit push postponed / cancelled
Post by: Carol Schneider on Jun 1 2005, 11:11
Be safe & smart team 2.
We are praying for your safe return-summit or not!

Carol Schneider (Nate's Mom)
Title: Re: June 1st - Morning update from 8300m. Summit push postponed / cancelled
Post by: Nancy on Jun 1 2005, 12:32
Continued best wishes for John, Harry, Lorenzo & Dimitry and their sherpas!

Title: Re: June 1st - Morning update from 8300m. Summit push postponed / cancelled
Post by: Nikky on Jun 1 2005, 13:46
Erik, your updates are so helpful, thanks. Best wishes and luck to Lorenzo and all. Our thoughts are with you all, "The Green Pie Gang".
Title: Re: June 1st - Morning update from 8300m. Summit push postponed / cancelled
Post by: Chris Valentine on Jun 1 2005, 14:04
Carol, Nancy and Green Pie Gang, your messages passed on to Lorenzo.

I think he is getting poor satellite reception where he is now because the North Ridge itself is in the way. Plus he's had no chance to charge batteries for three or four days now and although he has a total of three with him, he has to keep them warm inside his clothing - perhaps that's why the tent floor feels so bumpy?!

Chris.
Title: Re: June 1st - Morning update from 8300m. Summit push postponed / cancelled
Post by: FREDNORTHAMPTON on Jun 1 2005, 17:26
Been an ardent fan of Lorenzo's audioblogs to date, but now their quality is diminishing this website is excellent. Luigi, Lynne and Leanne nice to see your messages of support for Lorenzo on this site, as we all hope the weather relents.

Continued good luck and best wishes to the four remaining up high

Fred
Title: Re: June 1st - Morning update from 8300m. Summit push postponed / cancelled
Post by: Hakan Celik on Jun 1 2005, 17:54
Harry,
I read on the news today (nu.nl) that a sherpa improved the record of reaching the top, so I thought and hoped you were with him on the top. I hope your sherpa (and the weather) gets well soon so you can have another opportunity. Be carefull.
Say hi to the rest of your team and good luck to you all.
Hakan.
Title: Re: June 1st - Morning update from 8300m. Summit push postponed / cancelled
Post by: landrover on Jun 1 2005, 19:33
hi ol ye summiteers,

harry, may you ol reach the summit ! You too lorenzo ! just got on the net. have yet to visit your audio blog.

hope im next to get a chance to summit, next year !

Safe and Smart climbing bros !

landrover
Title: Re: June 1st - Morning update from 8300m. Summit push postponed / cancelled
Post by: landrover on Jun 1 2005, 19:54
lorenzo, just heard your audio blog. wow ! no more oxygen ?! if i was there, i would have brought up more oxygen tanks for you and harry and the rest of the remaining team. unfortunately, im too far away. im in manila. hope more oxygen will really get up in time for your ascent !!! better safe than sorry ha !!! If i was a dollar millionaire, id rent out that Eurocopter that went up everest's summit last month and would have gladly picked up oxygen bottles from bc up to your campsite asap for free just to better ensure your team's safety, harry !!! im worried sick re your lack of oxygen bros !!!
Title: Re: June 1st - Morning update from 8300m. Summit push postponed / cancelled
Post by: landrover on Jun 1 2005, 20:04
i could pray for your team's safety though. I believe in the power of prayer. its 10pm here in manila. rest assured me, my 4 kids (all girls) and my wife will pray to Jesus Christ that he may give you all renewed strenght to make it to the summit and back to base camp safely. We'll also pray for the safety of the climber/s who will bring up your much needed oxygen supply and also the quick recovery of harry's sherpa.

landrover
Title: Re: June 1st - Morning update from 8300m. Summit push postponed / cancelled
Post by: Nikky on Jun 1 2005, 20:27
Lorenzo, just tried to listen to your"blog" which I could hardly hear because of dreadful storm, (I am right in the middle of a TORNADO ALERT !!) here in Florida this morning and this is just the first day of the hurricane season) this all must appear to be a very long way from where you are but would prefer if all the wind was here, rather than with you and your team. Hoping you get the necessary oxygen for your final push. Love Nikky, and the "Green Pie Guzzlers"!
Title: Re: June 1st - Morning update from 8300m. Summit push postponed / cancelled
Post by: Megan Crotte on Jun 5 2005, 02:41
 :eek) Nate...what is happening up there?!  I have been thinking about you and your team!!  You are all in my prayers...be safe!  Love you, Megan
Title: Re: June 1st - Morning update from 8300m. Summit push postponed / cancelled
Post by: Andy Schneider on Jun 5 2005, 09:17
Nathan Schneider, Lorenzo, Robert and Demitry arrived in Kathmandu at 8 PM, Saturday, June 6. All are in fine shape and currently resting and preparig to leave for home within the next few days.

Andy Schneider