7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Attack on youngest 7 summits record  (Read 5743 times)

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
Attack on youngest 7 summits record
« on: Dec 4 2005, 02:17 »

"A TEENAGE mountaineer is attempting to become the youngest person ever to conquer the highest peak in each continent - after learning the ropes in Snowdonia.

Rhys Jones, 19, flew to Antarctica yesterday, where the sixth leg of his epic adventure will see him attempt to climb the frozen continent's highest point, Mount Vinson. "

(Read the rest of the article here http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news/0200wales/)

I wish him good luck and safe climbing!

Further on he mentions that only Everest is still to come (if he makes Vinson, where the weather currently is very bad), Everest.

He says that he needs 40.000 british pounds for that. I wonder why :?)
That is 70.000 dollar! He can take 2 friends for that on our expedition and still have one personal Sherpa each ???.
I really have no clue why people would spend more than double than they need... Anyone know Rhys?

Cheers,
Harry
« Last Edit: Dec 6 2005, 17:41 by 7summits »
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

alan jones

Re: Attack on youngest 7 summits record
« Reply #1 on: Dec 6 2005, 17:08 »

::) Hi, as my son is now somewhere on the glacier, preparing for ascent of Vinson, let me clear up a miss understanding. The price quoted for him to complete the Seven by climbing Everest should have read 40,000 DOLLARS not ££s which at current exchange rates amounts 24,000 POUNDS. Thats a bargain.   

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
Re: Attack on youngest 7 summits record
« Reply #2 on: Dec 6 2005, 17:46 »

::) Hi, as my son is now somewhere on the glacier, preparing for ascent of Vinson, let me clear up a miss understanding. The price quoted for him to complete the Seven by climbing Everest should have read 40,000 DOLLARS not ££s which at current exchange rates amounts 24,000 POUNDS. Thats a bargain.   

Hi Alan,

thanks for clearing that up. However, it is certainly not a bargain. Our full service expedition costs $16.250. If you add extra oxygen (3 bottles already included) and a personal Sherpa (shared Sherpas and guides already included) then you will still pay about $25,000.

That's quite a wide gap with the quoted $40,000.

And you can ask any member of the Jagged -Globe or Himex team who paid $40k this year if they had not rather been in our team and used our services instead (many did actually  ;D )

Anyway, good luck to Rhys, if he has not signed up: he can save $15000 by going here:
http://7summits.com/everest/trips.php

Cheers,
Harry
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

m.c. reinhardt

• Mountaineer
  • Altitude: 50
  • Dream it, envision it and then live it.

Rhys Jones summited Everest on May 17, 2006 (his 20th birthday according to the BBC and Jagged Globe.)  He now holds the record for the youngest Brit and youngest person to summit all "7".  So, he has just beat Danielle Fisher's record for youngest in the world (she still holds the record for the youngest female.)  Interesting how it comes down to months, weeks and even days.  As I recall, Danielle was 20 years old and (?) days. Story here.

I just found this link from Jagged Globe, Rhys Jones expedition team.  Here is a summit day report from the man himself.  Congratulations Rhys!!!

Photo of Rhys.

MC† † :)
« Last Edit: Jul 16 2006, 12:47 by mc »
"I go to the mountains for there I find higher ground." m.c. reinhardt

GMatthews

Hey I donít know if you have known this yet but I am 16 years old. I have just summated Denali. I plan on Kili, Aconcagua and Vinson this winter. Then in April - May I will be climbing Mount Everest. I am committing to another Denali expedition on June 15, 2007 as the expedition leader for an under 20 youth expedition. Then I will run up Carstensz and Elbrus just before I turn 18. I wanted to be on Cho Oyu this fall but I donít think it will happen now (Still might!).
The way I get money for my climbs is not being a pansy asking for sponsorship, but by taking photos and selling calendars but most of all being original.
I donít want to use oxygen on Mount Everest, but I will take it anyways up to high camp at least. I am not one of those immature kids who say that they wont use oxygen.
All keep you guys updated on my climbs!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 23 queries.