7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 7 summiteer Jake Meyer climbs 48 USA high points in 24 days  (Read 3150 times)

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages

Previous age record holder (22 years for the 7 summits) and friend Jake Meyer just beat the record for scaling all highpoints in the 'lower 48' states of the USA.

From the Mirror:

"CLIMB EVERY MOUNTAIN
Record breaker Jake scales 48 U.S. peaks in less than 24 days
By Richard Smith

BRIT climber Jake Meyer was in high spirits yesterday after scaling the highest peaks in all 48 mainland US states in record time.

Student Jake, 23, and a support team of six pals from Bristol University took 23 days, 19 hours and 13 minutes to complete the amazing marathon.

They drove 12,430 miles and climbed a total of 275,909ft - the equivalent of almost 10 Mount Everests. Standing on the crest of the final peak, Mount Katahdin in Maine, the Army scholar grinned: "I'm on top of the world."

Jake, who started planning the marathon three years ago, added: "We've set the Americans a tough challenge to win back their record."

Mountains scaled ranged from towering 14,497ft Mr Whitney in California to lowly 345ft Britton Hill in Florida. Hawaii and Alaska - which boasts 20,320-ft Mount McKinley, North America's highest peak - were not included.

Jake began by climbing 14,410ft Mr Rainier in Washington State. He had to endure hailstorms, confrontations with grizzly bears and escaped unhurt from a car crash.

Despite blistered feet, and backache from hefting supplies up so many slopes - often at midnight - Jake beat American Ben Jones' record by nearly six days.

His mum Fiona Mitchell, 48, said: "I'm very proud." Last June, Jake, of Rodmarton, Glos, became the youngest man to climb the seven top summits in each continent and the youngest Brit to scale Everest. "

(Article includes full list)

ps: Jake already climbed Denali with me in 2003 as well..
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

big wave dave

• Armchair...
  • Altitude: 0
  • I prefer to stay at sea level

The highest points from the Rockies to the west coast are basically nice hikes/climbs but the highest points of all 48???  On the other hand, doing all 48 states in 24 days?  Now that's a hell of a road trip.  Good for Jake.  Sounds like a great adventure.

Dave
« Last Edit: Aug 15 2006, 06:15 by big wave dave »

Mountain John

• Mountain Climber
  • Climber
  • Altitude: 4
  • Live your Passion

Harry, does that include driving time?  The article mentions a support team of 6.  John
Not a perfect person, but a true person.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 22 queries.