7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I prove that I have done a climb?  (Read 7894 times)

johntg

• Armchair...
  • Altitude: 0
  • I am too lazy to change this text!
How do I prove that I have done a climb?
« on: Apr 24 2007, 11:42 »

Hi all,
I'm planning to do Kokoda in coming months and am getting interested in the idea of mountaineering.  Iíll start with a few what are probably fairly stupid questions. How does someone prove that theyíve actually done the summit they claim?  I live in Australia and as an introduction to the sport I would like to climb Kosciusko and would like this to count toward the 7 summits Ė but how do I prove that Iíve done it!? I assume there must be some sort of official recognition of the climb required?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers
John

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
Re: How do I prove that I have done a climb?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 24 2007, 13:12 »

Hi Johntg,

there is no perfect way as all can be cheated if you really want, that s why we do not accept when there are any doubt. So the point is to take away any doubts :)

- First of all: make pictures! Digital or slide or both. Video is great too.
- Make sure that the picture shows you, the summit marker and a typical view from the mountain. Take one to every side and do not just take a picture from below, showing your happy face against a blue sky background, those pictures could have been taken anywhere.
- Try to get pictures taken by others, preferably also from strangers, either with or without them. See previous notes
- Always get (email) adresses and names of witnesses: guides/witnesses/teammates, so they can testify and send you their images.
- register with any park services, try to get certificates when climbing with a commercial team etc.

- Do not leave anything on the summit, it thrashes nature. But do check for a summit book, sometimes hidden in a metal box or cannister, often a few meters away, and sign it clearly with date, time and your name.

Most of all: enjoy your climb :)

Cheers,

Harry
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

MoT

• Climber
  • Altitude: 8
    • TightropeNET
Re: How do I prove that I have done a climb?
« Reply #2 on: Apr 25 2007, 16:07 »

I suppose a photo for a start. Also if there are other people with you who can verify the climb that's another way. I don't know if there's any official recognition though...

Just my 2 cent
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 22 queries.