7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shots for Kili  (Read 9381 times)

m.c. reinhardt

• Mountaineer
  • Altitude: 50
  • Dream it, envision it and then live it.
Shots for Kili
« on: May 15 2007, 05:50 »

I have looked at the cdc.gov web-site and also been in touch with my local travel clinic regarding what shots I will decide to get for Tanzania. I have an appointment for May 30th which includes a consultation. I have never had a flu shot and rarely get the flu. In other words, I am not a big believer in getting shots unless it is really necessary. I have come to the conclusion that the following shots would be smart (cdc.gov does list a few others that I did not deem necessary).

Yellow fever (shot)
Hepatitis A & B (shot)
Typhoid (pill)
Malaria (antimalerial drug)

I would appreciate any thoughts on this topic.

Thanks!!!
MC   :)
"I go to the mountains for there I find higher ground." m.c. reinhardt

Roger

• Adventurer
  • Scrambler
  • Altitude: 0
  • Adventurer
Re: Shots for Kili
« Reply #1 on: May 15 2007, 16:01 »

Hi MC

For my two bobs worth I had previous immunisation with Hep A/B/thyphoid and only had Yellow Fever as I was going into the Congo, Burundi, Uganda borders.

Yellow fever will not apply to you though.

Malaria seems only to be a problem in remote jungles and just cover up at nights and use Deet if required. I did neither and survived. Same with my recent trip into the remote jungles of Sabah and I dont have malaria. Seems there is a lot of hype on Malaria.

My expectation is you will probably not be out at nights in Arusha or other remote places.
Arusha is like the wild west and is an eye opener. Not safe at night, nor is Moshi unless you are with locals/guides but you will probably not feel the need to wander around at night once you see these places.

If you need any tips for Arusha just ask away. There are catholic nuns there who have cheap accommodation and meals to boot, around US$9 per night meals included. Really great environment. You realise the environment you are in when they let the guard dogs out at 10 pm and lock the gates and advise guests not to wander around outdoors. I have some great memories of Africa.

I reckon you are going to have a great time and this will inspire you to tackle other mountains or treks.

Cheers
Roger in Sydney

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
« Reply #2 on: May 15 2007, 18:52 »

Hi MC, you might want to check out this FAQ I wrote about the subject first.. It contains info about shots and general health issues and how to prevent them.

What is missing in your list is a DTP shot (you mention the 'T'): diphtheria, tetanus toxoids, and pertussis vaccine in some kind of mix.

In general, please do ask your or a specialized physician, in order to prevent allergies etc!

Good luck and stay healthy :)

Harry
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

jedi-knight

• Scrambler
  • Altitude: 1
« Reply #3 on: May 15 2007, 20:22 »

Hey MC,

Please also remember that if they checked the proof that you have taken the relevant shots, eg. yellow fever, they will also take into consideration any transit countries that you were in.

For example, in my case, on the way to Kili as well as the return trip, I transit via Addis Ababa. On my way back, I had to further transit in Bangkok. At the Bangkok airport, they checked my proof of yellow fever and other shots' since to them I had just came from Addis Ababa.

In my case, I had all the shots taken and its a gd thing the proof is in my carry-on luggage n not the check-in luggage.

Have fun on Kili..... :)

JK
Do or Do Not...There is No Try!

m.c. reinhardt

• Mountaineer
« Reply #4 on: May 16 2007, 11:40 »

Thanks Roger, Harry and jedi-knight! Lots of good info. My flight leaves from Portland, OR to Wash. DC, to Rome, Italy, to Addis Ababa and then to JRO. Return flight just reverse. You make a good point JK. I'd like to skip the yellow fever shot but I need to get more info regarding my flight layover in Addis Ababa. I will have to check with the Travel Clinic when I go at the end of the month. Thanks for the tips on Arusha, Roger.

I really appreciate the responses; very helpful!

MC  :)

Btw, Harry, good FAQ on shots and health issues. I had read this quite some time ago. It was good to refresh my memory!
« Last Edit: May 16 2007, 11:48 by mc »

m.c. reinhardt

• Mountaineer
Re: Accommodations in Moshi
« Reply #5 on: May 23 2007, 20:58 »

Hi MC

If you need any tips for Arusha just ask away. There are catholic nuns there who have cheap accommodation and meals to boot, around US$9 per night meals included. Really great environment.
Hey Harry & Roger

I was lucky enough to meet someone on line to do a 5 day safari with me. She wanted to book through Zara direct so we are all set. Roger, you mentioned that there are Catholic nuns who have cheap accommodation in Arusha (approx. US$9 per night meals included). Is this true of Moshi also? Johanne is a Human Resource Advisor with the Legal and Human Rights Centre in Dar es Salaam. She doesn’t get paid much (she actually left a high paying job as an attorney in Canada). If you have any more info, I would like to e-mail it to her. I will be staying at the Springlands Hotel per Harry which will be great!

Thanks as always!
« Last Edit: May 23 2007, 21:00 by mc »

Roger

• Adventurer
  • Scrambler
  • Altitude: 0
  • Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: May 26 2007, 15:04 »

Hi MC

The nuns have there base in Arusha which doesnt help you in Moshi sadly.

Perhaps if you dont mind sharing she could camp out in your room. I wont tell anyone if you dont :). Your room will probably have a lounge or just lay some cushions on the floor.

If this does not suit then Im sure there will be other cheap forms of accommodation in Moshi and she could do some on line research also.

Its going to be a great time though tough but for sure it will be memorable.

Roger

m.c. reinhardt

• Mountaineer
« Reply #7 on: May 28 2007, 09:22 »

Thanks, Roger! And yes, it will be a great time, tough but memorable. I feel so privileged to be able to make this climb of Kili...it will be an amazing adventure for sure!

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 22 queries.