7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Going for the record  (Read 8269 times)

Indefatigable

• Armchair...
  • Altitude: 0
Going for the record
« on: Sep 16 2009, 21:24 »

My friend and I are considering making an effort to beat the 156 day record. . . As currently planned our trip is 150 days, but before solidifying anything I needed to ask some questions of some seasoned mountaineers.

Could you put the costs you incurred your home-your home (airfare and everything included) for each mountain you've been to?  We're trying to make a comprehensive cost list, and have currently got an expansive equipment list which seems it will cost $9135 per person (not including first aid, aid, or food).  Does this seem accurate?

Also, our training shall consist of (up till a month before) running 30 miles a week either 3 10s or 6 5s (the 6 5s under 8 minutes each) for stamina, 2 miles of uphill/stair sprints, and one day of loaded hiking per week.  Does this seem sufficient? The month before we intend to go to the Ranier advanced mountaineering camp and learn the skills we would need then camp near the summit for altitude acclimation, then start on our trip.  I won't bore you with the details of the plan, but we have all the mountains listed within their peak climbing periods because that is when they are easiest to summit.

We're not doing it just to break the record, we're doing it to hopefully reinvigorate the world.  People aren't as fascinating as they once were, and are much to complacent.  We hope that we can set some sort of example that the world is smaller than most people think and it's just waiting to be explored.

We hope to accomplish the fundraising and training within 7 and half years.

Finally, are there any mountaineering companies that are likely to do a package deal for all 7 at a reduced price?  So far the only estimates available on the web quote $170000, but this is for untrained people for whom money is no object.  A more reasonable estimate seems to be $80200 for everything.  We intend to be trained and financially constrained (unless sponsorship is acquired, which is doubtful).  We also intend to reach the two poles within this time to complete the grand slam.  Should we also add Mont Blanc and Kosciuszko?
« Last Edit: Sep 16 2009, 22:10 by Indefatigable »

Bill

• Hiker
Re: Going for the record
« Reply #1 on: Sep 21 2009, 22:28 »

HI there,

My name is Bill Tyler and I will finish my 7th summit next week with Kili.

First thing is: You indicate you are going to Rainer to get the skills required? What skills do you have to start with?

Second: I have spent nearly 130k. Most of it sponsored. I have been lucky for sure. Your cost of 9k per person is that for all the mountains? I know down to a few hundred dollars how much I spent for all.

80k is perhaps doable is you make every summit the first time, only go guided on vinson (which you have to anyways, no choice), go north side everest on your own, and you run into no other issues such as delays and health.

For instance, I spent almost 6k extra on Vinson due to weather delays that pushed the total expedition out for 4 weeks. 2 weeks I didnt plan on.

For me the cost is approx as follows (incliudes airfair):
Everest (went twice) 1st time 35k, second 28k
Aconcagus (twice) first time guided 5k, second time solo, 2k
Denali (twice) 1st time 2k, 2nd time 2k
Kili (IProgress) 4k
elbrus 3k
Vinson 40k
kosi aprox 2k.

And the 2 poles? Are you going to ski last degree? Or over land?
Ski last degree is approx 45k SP and 20k NP sans airfare and gear.

You go overland and the cost sky rockets. I have been trying to find a chaeper way but so far this is what you are looking at

Indefatigable

• Armchair...
« Reply #2 on: Sep 24 2009, 02:12 »

The 80k was barebones without the poles.  9k was gear prices for reusable items.  Thanks for the input.  Did you do all seven at once?  How many different groups/planners did you use for the 7?

Bill

• Hiker
« Reply #3 on: Sep 24 2009, 20:20 »

I am into my 8th year. Time, job, money and family didnt allow me to do it all at once. It is a HUGE commitment, and trust me on this, there are consequences that are not forseeable. I learned the hard way.

I went with several different outfitters, for Everest, elbrus, vinson, and kili.
Denali, and Kosi I did myself.
Aconcagua I used an outfitter for mules, gas, and transport but did the mountain solo.

Vinson and Kili require guided services (ALN wont let you do it on your own, I tried, and Kili it is the law).

9k is about right for gear, and I am still using all of my original stuff, some of which has alot of patches and fixes on them:)

I honestly think, and Harry can chime in here, that for Everest you are going to really need to consider going guided. It is a complex undertaking and the upper slopes dont have any pity. In 2007 when I made summit, there were an number of unguided, on thier own groups and I didnt see any of them above 8300m camp. This of course is going to add tens of thousand to your calculations.

Not trying to disuade, just being real. I know the desire and the dream. Live it! it is a worthy life goal.

Do the kosi version though. Carstenze is not the true 7th summit.  HEHEHEHEHEHE here comes Harry:)

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
« Reply #4 on: Sep 28 2009, 02:27 »

Hey Bill,

You are going to finish next week? Does that mean you climbed Carstensz as well  ;D

Hehehe.
Thanks for your input, useful info for all readers. And yes, I agree, Everest should not be climbed unguided.

Not just a sales pitch, but please check out my newly published Everest guidebook: http://7summits.com/everest/guidebook.php

It not just lists the main routes and lot of preparation info, but also all advantages of going guided vs unguided and some very useful general warnings against climbing Everest!
Check it before making any commitment.
Oh and of course, 7summits.com can set you up for all expeditions (not Denali), see http://7summits.com/expeditions.php , also for past customer's comments.

Bill, when are you going? Let me know!
Cheers,
Harry
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Mike1

• Hiker
« Reply #5 on: Nov 8 2009, 03:37 »

Why are you guys trying too hard just to break the record?  Really, everyone is different, just getting there on your own is hell. Just trying to be the next Messner is definitely suicidal.  Don't get me wrong gentlemen, but everyone is different and not all of us are capable of doing that.  Just getting there and do it is good enough for me.  That is my 2 cents...

Charlie

• Armchair...
« Reply #6 on: Nov 10 2009, 19:51 »

Hi-
best of luck.

Its a good idea that you are thinking logistics early on, but if you have 7 years you may want to think what is going to be your training in terms of mountaineering goals.  If you are lucky enough to live near mountains (I live in Florida) think of doing a lot of weekend climbs.  Get very proficient there.  Just to give an example I went on a guided Rainier trip this summer.  Our group took a good 12 hours round trip (granted I thought that we were pretty slow, but we still beat all other parties on the route that day who started before us).  Two of the junior guides had to turn back with clients, and after we got back to camp the head guide told them to go ahead and get their summit.  They made the round trip in slightly more than 4 hours and I don't think that they were physically much stronger then the rest of the team .  My point is this: what you may want to think about is how to get your climbing economy up in a cost effective manner.  I love running, but I doubt that that would alone do the trick.

Again, best of luck.

Cheerio
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 22 queries.