7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mt. Elbrus  (Read 16354 times)

Pat

• Armchair...
  • Altitude: 0
  • I'm so cool!
Mt. Elbrus
« on: Dec 13 2003, 21:59 »

Am a solo climber and planning to climb Mt. Elbrus in June/July 2004. Looking for interested partners.
Pat
Columbia, SC, USA

GARY GREENWOOD

• big gaz
  • Armchair...
  • Altitude: 1
  • 3down 4 to go
Re:Mt. Elbrus
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12 2004, 17:47 »

HELLO PAT
              I AM INTERESTED IN JOINING YOU ON ELBRUS. HAVE YOU FIXED A DATE YET?
HAVE YOU THOUGHT ABOUT USING A COMPANY?
I HAVE BEEN IN TOUCH WITH MANY . I LEAVE THE UK ON THE 19/1/04 TO CLIMB ACOCAGUA . PLEASE CONTACT ME

Pat Hickey

« Reply #2 on: Jan 13 2004, 06:40 »

Dear Gary:

Hello from Columbia, SC.

Great to hear from you!!!
I climbed Mt. Aconcagua in 2001 ... great climb!!!
Which route are you using and what company?

I have looked at using Pilgrim Tours (www.pilgrim-tours.com) for Mt. Elbrus. Lots of variety in cost. I am interested in the 8 day trip ($450) as I don't have alot of time.

I have heard from a group of Irish lads interested in climbing Mt. Elbrus at the same time, but we have made no plans.

I am sure that if you want to hook up, and like the looks and cost of Pilgrim Tours we could go ahead and set a date.

Let me know what companies and costs you are looking at!

Hope to hear from you soon,

Pat  :>)

MoT

• Climber
  • Altitude: 8
    • TightropeNET
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23 2004, 19:44 »

Would you be interested in ascending via a different route? Eg. the west shoulder? I've been toying with that idea for a while. We turned around below the summit in 2002 because of severe weather - blizzard, high winds, deep snow, zero visibility. Would like to return but maybe via a different route...

MoT

• Climber
  • Altitude: 8
    • TightropeNET
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23 2004, 19:47 »

Actually, could you put me in touch with the irish group? I'm from Galway, Ireland myself. Might be nice to climb with fellow countrymen...

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
« Reply #5 on: Feb 3 2004, 01:50 »

Hi Guys,
last week we put the new Elbrus prices online (http://7summits.com/elbrus/trips.php) you might want to check those out. One thing: the lenght of a trip should NEVER be determined by the amount of money, it is ALWAYS determined by the height of the mountain. If you are going to spend money on a trip and a flight as well, spend a bit extra just for safety and enjoyment. It's a lot more expensive to have to come back again.
If you can form a group together, I can arrange a private trip as well, on a less traveled route, just let me know!

best regards,

Harry
« Last Edit: Feb 3 2004, 01:52 by 7summits »
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Tomasz

« Reply #6 on: Feb 6 2004, 03:26 »

Hello everyone.

I'm going to climb Elbrus with Pilgrims.
I'll take 11 day tour starting June 24.

Tomasz, Canada

Sam

« Reply #7 on: Feb 24 2004, 00:46 »

Tomasz,

I'm also planning to go on the 11-day Pilgrims tour starting June 24.  It seems a shame to travel all that way and not see Moscow on the 8 day tour.

Question.  Will a North Face Nuptse down jacket be enough, or will an expedition type parka be needed?  Also, I have read conflicting reports that a 0 degree, then 20 degree bag is recommended.  Which is it?  The first was on the Pilgrims website and the second was on www.elbrus.org, which is sponsored by Pilgrims.

Sam
NorCal

7summits

• 7 down, 0 to go!
  • Administrator
  • 7Summiteer!
  • Altitude: 3
  • Greetings from tha lowlands
    • The 7 summits pages
« Reply #8 on: Feb 24 2004, 17:30 »

Hey guys,
you do know that you can buy the exact same trip here for the same price, don't you?  ::)
There might be confusion between the different temperature scales.
Anyway, it's always hard to advise on sleeping bags as people are more different than the weather.
A 0 degree celcius is certainly not enough, a 0 degree Fahrenheit should be plenty.

But before you buy think about whet you want to do next: if you are planning on denali, might as well get a -30/-40 sleeping bag right away. (Down)sleeping bags are seldom too warm and can last many years so investing in a good, warm but light goose down bag is mostly a good idea..

Ps: http://7summits.com/elbrus/trips.php  ;)
« Last Edit: Feb 24 2004, 17:31 by 7summits »
"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Sam

« Reply #9 on: Feb 25 2004, 01:13 »

Thanks for the advice Harry.  I'll just spend the extra cach and get the higher rated bag for future use.  

Sam
NorCal

Tomasz

« Reply #10 on: Feb 26 2004, 02:55 »

Hi Sam

Send me an email at marillion224@hotmail.com maybe we can talk about the Elbrus trip.

Tomasz
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 23 queries.