The seven summits, the highest peaks of the 7 continents: Everest, Aconcagua, Denali, Kilimanjaro, Elbrus, Vinson, Carstensz! Trips, Statistics & information!
Back to Basecamp... Back to Basecamp...

7 summits forum

Discuss about the highest mountains on the seven continents

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Apr 20 2014, 11:42

Login with username, password and session length

5822 Posts in 1339 Topics by 43233 Members. Latest Member: t343536. Apr 20 2014, 11:42
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Highest point in Continental US?  (Read 17790 times)
Harry
Global Moderator
Hiker

Altitude: 0

Yeah baby, Yeah!

« on: Mar 22 2002, 16:02 »

We were asked the following question at info@7summits.com. Although it has little relation to the 7 summits, we welcome anu mountaineering question on this general board.

Katie Heinemann asked:
What is the highest mountain in the Continental united States?

As North America's summit is not part of the continental US or "lower 48" the highest point would be Mt Whitney in California with 14494 feet the highest point of the Sierra range.

See http://americasroof.com/fourteeners.shtml for a full list of all US mountains above 14k feet.

Nice to know fact:
Mount Whitney, the highest mountain in the continental United States, and Zabriskie Point (in Death Valley), the lowest point in the United States, are less than eighty miles apart. (from: http://travel.nzoom.com/travel_detail/0,1940,64793-136-143,00.html )

Thanks and keep climbing,

Harry,
The 7summits.com team

Everything should be as simple as possible... but not simpler  --- Einstein
trunl
« Reply #1 on: Oct 9 2003, 03:57 »

Have you, individually, climbed Mt. Whitney?
Just a wonder, not to say that you havent climbed 5 of the seven summits if you did not, or not saying that Alaska is not a state, as some would think.
7summits
7 down, 0 to go!
Administrator
7Summiteer!

Altitude: 3

Greetings from tha lowlands

« Reply #2 on: Oct 11 2003, 18:03 »

No, I have not climbed whitney, but would like to when I get the chance, I heard from others it's a nice climb. I did go to death valley though  Cool

"He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
trunl
« Reply #3 on: Oct 13 2003, 01:24 »

just wondering cause i climbed it a while back and it has great views and a peaceful climb
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: