7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sunday 29-8, BC, rest day  (Read 4965 times)


  • Mountaineer
  • *****
  • Altitude: -1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 354
  • Adapt,improvise and overcome!
Sunday 29-8, BC, rest day
« on: Aug 30 2004, 00:44 »

In the morning the weather was clear again as it had been the past 5 days!
It seems that this actually happens oftenin August and that an intermediate climbing season might be feasible. Messner proved this already when soloing and this week it would have been perfect as well: clear skies, no wind at the summit!

A group of Italian trekkers travelling through Tibet were watching our camp and I went to talk to them and explain our objectives.

After breakfast it was time formy private 'Puja'. The rest of the team was already blessed a week before, I still had to get the blessing from the Mother Goddess of the Earth and chase the bad spirits away.

Sherpa Pemba burned some juniper branches and lit a bundle of incense. I placed my climbing gear (ice axes, carabiners, schlings, crampons) against the rocks and tied a string of prayer flags at the top. I also received a silk scarf which had to be tied underneath the others'.

Temba spoke different prayers and so I was blessed for the climb and a safe addition to the team.

This Puja will be repeated in ABC, no sherpa will climb Everest without it.

Later today I was awoken from a small napby the sound of bells: the Yak's have arrived! Amazing looking high altitude cows with long hair; unable to live below 3000m, they are the natural porters for Himalayan expeditions.

We siged our special expedition cards today and will try to send some off from the 'post office' at BC, but they seem to be reluctant to do it unless we pay a lot per card...

Everybody feels good and is ready to go to IC tomorrow; most even took a 'shower' today!

But Boris,who should be back up today has not yet arrived, so we are quite worried about him. We can not reach him as the hotel he will be staying in has no phone.He must be feeling better now and we had expected him back this afternoon...

The Yaks leave tomorrow morning with us towards Interim Camp at 5800m, so if they have to take his stuff up,he will need to be back up tonight..
« Last Edit: Aug 30 2004, 00:47 by Ron »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.627 seconds with 29 queries.