7summits forum!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: June 2nd - Lorenzo: "One hell of a story"  (Read 21343 times)

Chris Valentine

• Scrambler
  • Altitude: 19
  • Webmaster for Lorenzo's Everest Audio Blog
    • Lorenzo's Everest Audio Blog
June 2nd - Lorenzo: "One hell of a story"
« on: Jun 2 2005, 22:01 »

Received just now, a message from Lorenzo from ABC. He says "I have one hell of a story to tell". I can imagine!

A combination of a very technical climb and a que of people made progress up from Camp 3 difficult, especially in the dark. He started to notice he couldn't focus, then realised he'd lost vision in one eye. He then lost contact with the others on the way up to North Ridge; very worrying. Reached the North Ridge and could see the peaks on the South side, but realised then, at 8600m, that he could not carry on. Now, even more dramatic, he managed to find some shelter behind a rock to rest until sunrise, the tip of Everest just in front of him.

His message gets cut off and he starts a new one. Thinks his eye will recover.

Harry sent up a Sherpa to help Lorenzo down from Camp 2. "Wonderful to be speaking to you all ... celebrating life". A lesson learned to never do such a summit without a personal Sherpa. "Very terrifying to be on my own - my 'time' had not come."

At this stage, there has been no message from Harry, but it could just be his radio. John is at Camp 3 and Dmitry has summited too.

He will ring again tomorrow from BC.

Chris.
« Last Edit: Jun 3 2005, 00:01 by erikv »
Webmaster for Lorenzo's Everest Audio Blog
KMi, The Open University
http://everest.open.ac.uk

Mary Clare

Re: June 2nd: One hell of a story
« Reply #1 on: Jun 2 2005, 23:22 »

It was wonderful hearing Lorenzo's blog.  I am very happy that he is safe and celebrating life.
John...I am in awe that you just summited Everest in these conditions!  I am beyond relief to hear that you are in camp 3.  I hope with all my might that you will have enough oxygen to get back down that mountain.  Good luck on your descent back to ABC and finally to BC.  Congradulations, brother!
Harry, please come back down safely.  So many people are with you in thought.  I await anxiously for good news.
Sincerely,
mc

Anna

« Reply #2 on: Jun 2 2005, 23:30 »

Hi from Moscow!!!

Just received the latest message from Alex Abramov! Harry now is at 8300 along with his sherpa. No sure he has reached the summit or not, but possible. At least he is now safe in the camp!!!
Will be waiting for news tomorrow and update you as soon as we will get something.

Anna

Mary Clare

« Reply #3 on: Jun 2 2005, 23:44 »

Anna

Thank you SO much for this update!!!  For some reason I am not able to get to the 7 Vershin web-site.  I am so relieved that Harry is at camp 3!!!  I am assuming he is with John and both of their sherpas.  I hope they will be O.K. without much oxygen.  I believe with all my heart that they will make it back safely!

mc

smrtnupp

• Lee
  • Scrambler
  • Altitude: 5
  • Buddy jumps over mountains!!!
Re: June 2nd - Lorenzo: "One hell of a story"
« Reply #4 on: Jun 3 2005, 00:11 »

Thank you Anna.

WOO HOO!!!! Cheers
"You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him to find it within himself." -- Galileo

Liana Gariano

« Reply #5 on: Jun 3 2005, 00:53 »

Someone or something must have been looking over my Dad!  I, like many others was waiting in anticipation this morning and did start to get very worried after not hearing anything for a while.  People kept saying that 'no news is good news' and right they were.

I just want to say how proud I am of you Dad and that the prayers we were saying over here for you must have worked... what else can protect you from such extreme conditions like that?  You have always said to me how you believe in Destiny and I think it was your strength and beliefs within that kept you alive. Amazing.

I cant wait to see you back on solid ground.

I knew I couldnt loose my Dad to a mountain.

Congratulations to Harry, Demitri and John, I am so glad that you are all safe after your well deserved summit.

God Bless
Liana xxx

Duane

« Reply #6 on: Jun 3 2005, 01:07 »

Lorenzo... Congratulations!  To spend a night at 8600m by yourself is an achievement in itself!  Not many could survive that.

I always knew you would do well and make the right decisions.

Thats one for the Grandkids!!!

Hope to be eating some pasta with you soon...

Duane     O0

p.s. Ive got lots of questions for you... (ha!)

God Bless

Jette&Bas

« Reply #7 on: Jun 3 2005, 01:34 »

Harry,

We are just wishing you are celebrating your summit and that your radio is broke! It is amazing how you manage to stay up there for so long, we just hope that you are safe and well. Bas says that this is more nervewrecking then a Worldchampionship final Holland-Germany with penaltys! I can only agree. :eek)
You're in our thoughts all day. Win this game 'His name isn't even Harry'!

We wan't to hear your Groovah live and kicking down here below sea level!

Jette & Bas

Chris Valentine

• Scrambler
  • Altitude: 19
  • Webmaster for Lorenzo's Everest Audio Blog
    • Lorenzo's Everest Audio Blog
« Reply #8 on: Jun 3 2005, 01:38 »

Liana and Duane, your messages forwarded (with my bottom lip beginning to tremble). I'm sure he is taking great strength from everyone's contributions here. He will be in great demand as a visiting speaker on his return, both here (UK) and in Italy.

Chris.
Webmaster for Lorenzo's Everest Audio Blog
KMi, The Open University
http://everest.open.ac.uk

Ron

• Mountaineer
  • Altitude: -1
  • Adapt,improvise and overcome!
« Reply #9 on: Jun 3 2005, 02:58 »

glad he's safe...Bas..lets call homeland security ;)

Ron

• Mountaineer
  • Altitude: -1
  • Adapt,improvise and overcome!
« Reply #10 on: Jun 3 2005, 03:05 »

or isnt he?..is the camp 3 story confermed?

erikv

• Happy at sea level
  • Administrator
  • Hiker
  • Altitude: 2
  • I rather leave the climbing to my assistant
« Reply #11 on: Jun 3 2005, 03:26 »

It has been confirmed by Alex from ABC, by SMS, that Harry arrived at Camp 3 at around 10PM local time. That is 21 hours after they left for the summit at 1AM!!!

Harry is with his sherpa in camp 3, together with John and another sherpa. So that is good, given the circumstances.

We are still waiting to hear the condition of Harry and the others at camp 3. Let's hope they make it all through the night OK, without any complications due to prolonged exposure to the altitude, the cold and a lack of oxygen.

Of lesser importance at the moment, but we also do not know yet if Harry made it to the summit.

Erik

« Last Edit: Jun 3 2005, 03:52 by erikv »

bassie

• Armchair...
  • Altitude: 0
  • I am too lazy too change this text!
« Reply #12 on: Jun 3 2005, 03:33 »

Hi Harry, so glad you've made it. worried all day, but we can sleep a bit more comfortable now! Hope you'll get your rest to make it safe down tomorrow!!

good luck and I'm proud!!!! ;D

Bassie

Jette&Bas

« Reply #13 on: Jun 3 2005, 03:35 »

Thanx Erik! Good to hear some confirmed news. Keep us posted.

J&B

Corsair

• Scrambler
  • Altitude: -2
« Reply #14 on: Jun 3 2005, 03:41 »

Also relieved hearing Harry made it down to C3 and I really hope tomorrow will be a clear, calm and sunny day so he and the rest of the guys make it down without too much trouble.

Take care up there!

Regards, Corsair.
To die? No, I climbed up there to LIVE!

Mary Clare

« Reply #15 on: Jun 3 2005, 03:48 »

Thank you Erik!!!!!

mc    :)

bassie

• Armchair...
  • I am too lazy too change this text!
« Reply #16 on: Jun 3 2005, 04:14 »

He harry,

did you beat Jaime Vinals in high-altitude camping O0?

come back home safe my friend, we'll be waiting for you!!!!!!

love Bas

landrover

• Hiker
  • "My Range Rover on Mt. Pinatubo's crater rim"
« Reply #17 on: Jun 4 2005, 19:29 »

hi harry, your high altitude camping story can be sold to "believe it or not tv". basically, i believe you stayed too long in a high altitude-less oxygen=less body heat core. in contrast to what harry did, went down to bc=much oxygen=better chance of summiting.

all the odds were on your side by staying too long at such high altitude. but you survived! that is one incredible story and experience. experience is the best teacher.

i think the 2006 7summit team to everest will have more oxygen and maybe, just maybe, harry should add and require the sercice of a high altitude sherpa just in case.

i was daily monitoring your audio blog. i am amazed at your will to survive and will to win. it was definitely "no choice" for you but to head down when the fear of losing your eyesight was apparent and i would not have gone any further myself if i were in your shoes at that very moment of crossroads. you are destined most likely for the 2006 everest. try it again lorenzo. i'll try everest myself in 2006. i am talking to major sponsors at the moment. i'll be heading for kathmandu as early as nov 2005. i only wish i could hear your complete experience and i am sure i'll learn from it and cud even be a lifesaver for me in my upcoming everest ascent.

i salute your incredible survival instincts. others would most likely have died for the same experience. you are definitely a true bloodied mountaineer.  :)

« Last Edit: Jun 4 2005, 19:43 by landrover »
landrover's everest ascent 2006
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 23 queries.