Classic hiking approach, 21 days Carstensz Expedition!
After years of official sealing of the area, Carstensz is now open again!
As always, 7summits.com is offering the lowest price for the same
trip: €8850 (currently about $12,500) all inclusive from Denpasar (Bali), Indonesia
for the classic hiking approach. Book now before the spaces are gone!
These are the confirmed dates:
!!! For your booking we
need: A scan of your passport, in high quality as well as a recent picture with
a red background or at least a clear (monocolour) background, so we can alter it
ourselves, in order to comply with the permit regulations.
Please email both
files when applying for this trip to bookings (at ) 7summits.com
Day 01: (3rd February) Arrive in International Airport
of Denpasar, Bali
Transfer to Hotel / Resort, rest of day free.
Day 02: night flight to Jayapura, followed by a flight to Wamena, where we
will arrive around noon.
Day 03: Acclimatisation in the highlands, shopping in Wamena.
Day 04: Mission flight to Beoga, arranging of porters and meeting
authorities. The group luggage and food will be flown out (see below)
Day 05 - 10: Hike to Carstensz Basecamp. We will hike for 6 days through
jungle, highlands and over New Zealand pass to the BC. This is a tough adventure
hikecrossing rivers, through mud and heather and jungle. We will make camp every
Day 10 - 13: Climbing days. We have our BaseCamp close to Carstensz. There are several options/days for an ascent of
Carstensz as well as some other peaks if wished.
Day 14 - 19: Hiking back, this time to Ilaga. Note that of all climbers are
fit, we can do this in 5 or even 4 days, meaning we can stay longer in BC. We
might be able to use the mine route (see below)
Day 20: Mission flight back to Wamena, later that day flight back to Jayapura,
stay in Hotel
Day 21: flight back to Denpasar, end of services. You could stay in Bali or
fly out that night (23rd February).
Note that we arrive either at 13.00 or (likely) 20.00. In any case it is
safer to plan at least one more night there and fly out the 22nd.
PACKAGE PRICE : €8850 (currently about $12,500)
The costs will be €8850. €2500 needs to be paid as an advance payment by
bank transfer, see the bookingform, the rest
should be transferred before 3rd December (60 days before departure).
Included in cost: everything in the program, full board!
- Pick up and transfer to hotel in Denpasar
- Flights to Jayapura & to Wamena
- All Required Permits for the ascent of Carstensz Pyramid
- Access to Base Camp
- Mission flights where needed
- Transportation of team gear and food to BC
- Porters for group gear and food for trekking
- Meals during trekking and in BC
- Tents, dining and cooking equipment
Not included in cost
• International Airfares to Indonesia (Denpasar).
• Trip cancellation insurance.
• Indonesia visa.
• Unscheduled Hotel nights.
• Medical / Evacuation and trip insurance.
• Personal Climbing Equipment.
• Alcoholic beverages
• Excess baggage on domestic flights (usually 20 Kg Limit )
• Tips/bonus for guides.
• Airport Tax where applicable
• Expenses if one returns earlier from the expedition due to
sickness, other problems or change of route
• Force majeure.
flight or trip
- The exact approach route can change due to weather, conditions etc. In
any way, we will hike 5 to 6 days, ensuring a good acclimatisation and
- The return route is likely different than the approach route and could
- Though the trek to Ilaga is the preferred return route, we could be
leaving through the mine road, though this is definitely not a fixed option.
IF this happens, the trip will be about 3-5 days shorter, but no refund is
applicable as the permission as well as extra hotels etc are costly.
Porters and gear:
- After arrival, we will split your gear into trekking vs climbing gear.
The climbing gear (including your warm clothes, harness, altitude snacks
etc) will be transported separately to the BC area via an
alternative route, so you will only see it again in BC.
- We will have porters, but they will only carry the communal gear, so
tents, kitchen supplies and food.
- There are no porters available for personal gear, you will carry the
clothes and other stuff (photo cameras etc) for the approach yourself.
Though this bag should not be heavier than about 10-12 kilos (25 pounds),
this will also make sure you are fit when arriving.
Fitness, climbing ability and guiding:
- Carstensz Pyramid is not a tourist hike, it is a serious trekking
followed by a serious rockclimb with serious exposure.
- You need to be able to comfortable hike with a full pack through muddy
and hilly terrain for 5-6 days. If everybody is fit, then the return trip
can be faster, meaning we can climb more, so make sure that you are not the
one holding the others back
- You are supposed to be able to climb steep rock faces without guidance.
This is not the place to learn how to climb, abseil, use an ascender or how
to make a hms knot. We expect that you know all basic rockclimbing skills
- Besides the trekking guide, there will also be at least one guide for
the Carstensz climb (7summits.com
Harry Kikstra), but you should be able to climb unguided. It is
possible that our (small) group will split up for whatever reason, so you
should be self-sufficient.
- You are free to climb other mountains and the leader will assist and
guide where possible, but all is based on personal responsibility
Though we have everything ready for this trip, it can be cancelled or changed
anytime before or during the expedition.
We strongly recommend to get trip cancellation insurance as well as good
medical/evacuation insurance (http://www.ihi.com
is recommended for the medical/evacuation).
In order to book, we need a signed bookingform, a good / high quality scan of
your passport as well as a recent electronic picture (passport type, though
larger size), preferably with a clear background.
Ascending the wide gully on Carstensz Pyramid
Papua man in Timika
start of the trek, with mine
Descending the gully after summiting
The big gulley above the half way terrace