The seven summits, the highest peaks of the 7 continents: Everest, Aconcagua, Denali, Kilimanjaro, Elbrus, Vinson, Carstensz! Trips, Statistics & information!
Back to Basecamp... Back to Basecamp...

Kilimanjaro

The Marangu or Coca-Cola (tourist) route

                 

 

Machame | Machame/Breach | Marangu (tourist) | Umbwe/Breach | Umbwe/Machame 

Lemosho (shira)/Breach | Lemosho (Shira)/Machame | Rongai/Loitokitok

 

Marangu or Coca-Cola/tourist route

The Marangu Route is also known as the "Coca Cola" or "tourist" route. It is the easiest and shortest route to the summit and many people in a hurry try to make the summit via this overcrowded route, although less than 50% will make it. 

90% of the Kilimanjaro climbers use this route and all the other routes combined see 10% of the visitors...

 

This is also the only route with the 'comforts' of sleeping huts at every camp site with solar lights and comfortable beds. The huts are communal, and the bunks have a sponge mattress and pillow. Men's' and ladies' latrines are available at each camp but very basic.

 

All climbing groups, share meals in dining huts; soft drinks (hence the nickname), bottled water, and beer are for sale at the huts. Bring small Tanzanian bills to purchase these items (prices increase with elevation).

 

Although we list the 'standard itinerary here, we think it is crazy o attempt to reach an almost 6000m/20000ft peak in 3.5 days (on Aconcagua you will reach this altitude for the first time on the 8-10th day...). 

This is not only silly but also dangerous; even though it's expensive, take a few extra days; better to enjoy all of them than walk around with a splitting headache for 5 days and not getting to the summit...

 

This route is usually done on 5 days but should be done in 6 days for better acclimatization and 7 is recommended. (The extra day(s) can be spent resting at Horombo or climbing the small peak of Mawenzi.


Marangu Route Itinerary

5 to 6 days, 60 km

 

Moshi Booked into accommodation in Moshi for overnight
Day 1
To Mandara
1700m to 2740m
About 5 hours
After breakfast, briefing, and drive to the Kilimanjaro National Park Gate, register and commence the climb. Walking through the rainforest to the Mandara encampment located at 9000 ft / 2740 m. Dinner and overnight.
Day 2
To Horombo Camp
2700m to 3700m
About 5 hours
We now leave the glades of the rainforest and follow an ascending path on the open moorlands to the Horombo encampment located at 12000 ft /3700 m. Dinner and overnight. If you wish to extend you trek (recommended), here you can spend 1 or 2 extra days resting at Horombo or climbing the small peak of Mawenzi.
Day 3
To Kibo Camp
3700m to 4700m
About 5 hours
Ascending, we now pass the last watering point, walking onto the saddle of Kilimanjaro between the peaks of Kibo and Mawenzi. Vegetation all but disappears into "moonscape", but the views of the mountain are incredible. Arriving at the Kibo encampment located at 15000 ft / 4700 m. Dinner, rest, and prepare for summit climb.
Day 4
To Summit and Horombo
4700m to 5895m
(and down to 3700m)
8 to 11 hours 
Very early in the morning (midnight to 2am), commence the climb to the summit on steep and heavy scree or snow/ice up to Gilman's point located on the crater rim at 18640 ft / 5861 m (4-7 hours). Continuing, we now ascend to Uhuru Peak, which is the highest point in Africa: 19340 ft / 5895 m (1-2 hours). Unbelievable views at every turn. Get your picture taken at the summit to show your friends. From here, we now descend, stopping for lunch and a rest before continuing on to the Horombo encampment for dinner and a tired but happy overnight (1-2 hours). This beginning of this climb is done in the dark and requires headlamps or flashlights. It will be very cold until you start descending, so you will need all of your warm layers. This is, by far, the most difficult part of the trek with many switchbacks. "Pole pole" and an optimistic attitude will get you there!
Day 5
To Moshi
3700m to 1700m
About 3-5 hours 
The descent continues past the Mandara encampment (lunch) back down to the Park Gate. This is where successful climber may now collect their well-earned certificates. Drive to Moshi for overnight.


Check out the trips page for the current 7summits Kilimanjaro trips prices


Machame | Machame/Breach | Marangu (tourist) | Umbwe/Breach | Umbwe/Machame 

Lemosho (shira)/Breach | Lemosho (Shira)/Machame | Rongai/Loitokitok